I take lessons with Jesse weekly and it has been an awesome experience and really helped me take my playing to the next level. I came in looking to improve my music theory knowledge as well as my technical abilities, so that I could get away from simple chord progressions and a limited ability to play tabs. Jesse will listen to your thoughts about what you're playing and struggling with and teach you what you need to know and more! Can't recommend this group enough!Mitch Mellen 2/25/2020
Brief: Jesse is a terrific teacher, musician and guitar player. Seize any opportunity to work with him.
I've bee learning from Jesse for a few years now. He has provided inspiration and understanding about many avenues of music (technique, theory, production, composition, mindset, philosophy, health, message, legacy). He is incredibly present, and efficiently identifies goals and obstacles where I lack the experience to articulate them. He works collaboratively, providing dense and effective education in an organic way. I enjoy our lessons. Not only are they fun, but they always yield large progressive steps in my understanding of music... to the point that I've become addicted to the "epiphany" moments. The curriculum is an example in master design. As a student I am excited and engaged in the immediacy of a lesson. I feel empowered by new perspectives and insight following a lesson, and my playing leaps forward every time. This is all very abstract, just know Jesse is an incredible teacher!
More technically, Jesse has helped me improve:
- musical ear, listening and hearing music
- composition, stretching immediate improvisation to longer, larger structures
- intervallic thinking, and the ability to rapidly capture or notate musical thoughts
- interaction with the instrument, posture, ergonomics, strategy
- pattern visualization, the ability to embed theory beyond paper and then apply those visualizations at will
- connection between previously disparate theory structures
- technique, understanding the nuances that make studio quality guitar playing
- confidence in playing and navigating the entire neck
- presence and mindset
- ability to formalize and think about my own guitar goals on the scale of a lifetime, down to the immediate hour of a practice
Great experience! I'm an older student taking lessons remotely -- a much better experience than what I've found elsewhere. Everything started from me explaining what I needed and where I wanted to end up. From there, each lesson's geared toward matching my goals, and one lesson clearly builds on another. The supplemental materials they provide are a big help and the weekly check-ins hallow me to ask questions and get tips on being more effective in my weekly practicing. My experience has been way more productive than with other places and instructors. Highly recommend.Richard Hicks 2/27/2020